Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Art in Vienna

The Leopold Museum at Vienna's MuseumsQuartier

Due to graduating school with a focus on art I couldn’t have left Vienna without visiting one of the famous art collections. Austrian art is often known for  Egon Schiele or Gustav Klimt who started the Art Nouveau in the early 20th century. This is one of my favourite eras after Impressionism. Luckily there was an exhibition at the Leopold Museum which showed the influences of Klimt in Schiele’s Art work. 
I’m always astonished every time I see one of my favorite art works in their original version instead of the prints in books.
While browsing in a book of Klimt’s collection in the book store of the Leopold Museum my friend Clara and I coincidently read that Klimt’s famous work “Der Kuss” which is one of the most amazing works I’ve ever seen is at the Belvedere just few kilometers away from the Leopold Museum. So immediately we took the subway to Klimt’s main collection in Vienna. Just 40 Minutes before closing time we reached the entrance, immediately bought the tickets and went straight ahead to Klimt’s work passing by everything else. And there we were. Standing in front of “Der Kuss”. I was so excited and had to realize what I was facing. I love this feeling. It’s like being traped in an art book when you’re actualy just in a museum full of famous works. 

"Leben und Tod" by Gustav Klimt
"Fakultätsbilder" by Klimt // from left to right: Philosophie/ Medizin/ Jurisprudenz
post cards from the Leopold Museum's shop

Have a creative day!

No comments:

Post a Comment